Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Knitting and such

So during the winter (which it is not right now) I like to knit.  Something about being covered in yarn during the summer makes me hot thinking about it.. and being overly hot makes me want to hurt someone. (Kidding mostly.)  But anywho... sometimes I like to knit from patterns, while other times I like to just go with it and see what I can make.  Sometimes it turns out well.. and other times.... well.. the projects get pushed to the wayside and buried in a knitting bag somewhere.

Last summer I went on a summer long trip to California, with the boyfriend, for him to get back home to his friends and some family, and my reason? To get out of town for a while.  Sometimes the school year can really drag me down (or life.. or drama.. or any number of things). Anyway.. I had a lot of free time.  Also.. I wanted to make something for his mother, who we would be spending the summer with.  All he told me about her was that she liked cats.  Cats? That's all you can give me? Hah! Well.. it ended up being all I needed! I made a "sock" cat (as in sock monkey) except that it was all knitted and not made of socks.
So this picture was while I was working on the tail (note the double pointed needles seeming to be sticking out of his rear end).  But whatever.. I thought it looked awesome.  And no pattern on this one! It became a really fun project and she ended up loving it.  She told all her friends about it and put it on the ornamental fruit on the island in her kitchen.  Its nice when your gifts are appreciated!

While I was out there, I also made this (which was from a pattern):  
What a fun Elephant! I sent this one back home to a friend who was having a baby and happened to be setting the theme of her daughters room to be purple.  What newborn doesn't need a knitted baby elephant.  

I have a partially made turtle sitting in a box in my bedroom that was made out there as well.  Seriously only about 3 hours work left on it, but for some reason I have not completed it.  Maybe this summer! (although I won't be going cross country, but I think I might have some free time on my hands.  


And just for your entertainment (the few of you that might happen to read this..) I made a zombie head during a snow break from school a couple of years ago, at the request of the boyfriend (hah) and it is now in his possession.  My favorite part is the eyeballs so there is a picture of just those as well! (My brain has some really strange ideas sometimes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment